Saturday, April 19, 2008

Name the Author

Answers will be published as soon as someone guesses, or next Saturday (unless I forget).

Easiest:
"You have made us for Yourself, and our heart is restless till it finds its rest in You."  

Easy:
"Education, n.  That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the fools their lack of understanding."

Easyish:
"To lose one parent can be considered a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

Medium:
"You can't be a successful dictator and design women's underclothing."
"No, sir."
"I tell you, it's one or the other."
"Yes, sir.  Will that be all sir?"

Hard medium (listen to the prose):
"Nay (the matter grows too difficult for human speech), but let the atheists themselves choose a god.  They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist."

Harder medium: 
"For famished nature will be avenged and a hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

Hard: 
"He is a man whom I would not presume to praise."

Harder:
"Of faith I have nothing, only of truth: that this one God is a brute and traitor, abandoning us to time, to necessity and the engines of matter unhinged."

Harder yet:
"It is a pity that we cannot persuade all ministers to be men, for it is hard to see how otherwise they will be truly men of God."

Impossible for all but Becky to name by whom it was quoted:
"So cler and so light hit was, that joye ther was ynough.  Treon ther were, ful of frut, wel thikke on everich bough.  Hit was evere more dai, hi ne fonde nevere nyght; Hi ne wende fynde in no stede so moch cler light."

Have fun; post the answers as you feel like.  All authors are worthwhile, most are commonly read by the same six people that commonly read my blog (I'm two of them).  The quotes are taken from my commonplace book, so if you know my reading list, you're somewhat ahead of the game, but I didn't limit myself to my reading list; sorry Brooke.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No takers??

Then I'll give it a shot:

Augustine
Bierce
?
Wodehouse
? (feel like I should know this one)
Lewis
Austen (I did know this, but point out that you give this one away in your sidebar :-)
?
?
St. Brendan

Okay, now you have to post the answers.

J. A. Broussard said...

Correct, so far as you got. Three was Wilde, from The Importance of Being Earnest; five was Chesterton, from Orthodoxy; eight was Annie Dillard, from Holy The Firm, and nine was Spurgeon, from Lectures to My Students. I'll post the actual full answers with page numbers and all that soon.

Wodehousian Fun