Friday, April 1, 2011

Guthrum Sits on a Hero's Throne, and Asks if He is Dead

The Man Who Knew Too MuchThe Man Who Knew Too Much by G.K. Chesterton

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I rated this book as world-class, and allow me to qualify: it is probably only world-class to me. After all, the hero dies in the end. Oops. But he's depressed, which makes me love him. He takes a semi-pessimistic view of the world, a la Eliza Bennett's "The more I know of the world the more I am dissatisfied with it" (or whatever she says to Jane that's similar to that). And he complains that his wisdom is only of all the wrong things, so I cannot help but love him. His personality, of all of Chesterton's characters (excluding villains), is most akin to mine, or at least I think it is. Perhaps Brooke or Becky know better (and yes, I know it's misspelled, it's that way on purpose).



It's another selection of short stories that I would recommend to anyone. Not quite so flippant as Father Brown, nor so absurd as Queer Trades, but still vintage Chesterton, from a rare and dusty barrel.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

rebec said...

Unlike your hero, I can't claim to know too much -- about him, anyway. But your description of him does sound kind of like someone I know...

Wodehousian Fun