Friday, March 11, 2011

Cause He Was In The Great Divorce



This is a picture of George MacDonald, which I find sheerly delightful.










The Day Boy and the Night GirlThe Day Boy and the Night Girl by George MacDonald

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Now this was just plain fun. An evil witch, good king (with a bit part), "orphaned" children, beautiful girl with giant eyes and strong, naive twit of a boy. After reading the first chapter, you know the plot of every other one, but it is such a delight to simply allow yourself to get whisked away and lost in MacDonald's mellifluous voice.

Simple plot overview: a wicked(ish) witch, about whom MacDonald has some delightful opinions, manages to acquire a boy to be raised only in light, never seeing the night, and a girl to be raised only in the darkness (underground), never seeing day. Obviously, they each are everything lovely and pure, meet and fall in love, et cetera res bonus, minus a prophecy, but then it's a short book: when I was three quarters of the way through, I was convinced that it must be a part of a series. So, read and enjoy it; very good for family readings, especially for groups of kids under the age of ninety.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite George Macdonald! I would have translated it except it was way too long... maybe next year.

Wodehousian Fun